Friday, October 02, 2009

Thesis update

My life, as most of you know, has one major component, which has grown bigger and bigger the last year. I don't want to be as asocial as I am, I'd like to have people over for dinners etc (the latter has another reason though - upstairs neighbour saw fit to acquire "new" furniture, that apparently was bedbug infested. Gravity and the nature of bedbugs did its thing and yes - we got a few new pets as well. We barely had noticed it until our truly sweet and awesome caretaker called us about a spraying, but since it was just precautionary, I'm not sure if they were as thorough as they could have been. We had an intense week of vacuuming, freezing bedding, scratching, sleeplessness, and searching, combined with finding the darn bugs a little here and a little there as they were affected by the poison along the walls. Then I discovered that despite the metal bedframe, some bugs had managed to make themselves comfortable in the bed slats (wood underneath mattress). 2 rolls of duct tape later, we're now bite free, and haven't seen a bug for quite some time. van Vliets vs bed bugs 2-0 (as far as we know...). One thing is for sure - we have the most spacey bed slats I've ever seen... end of longest parenthesis I've ever written).

The thesis is getting substance, and substantial as well. I've written an introduction draft, a chapter on classification (chapter 5) and a chapter on modelling (chapter 4). I've received feedback on chapter 5, and am now back to it. But today, I started writing the data and reductions chapter (2) for some reason. Might as well, as long as I get stuff done. With these 2.5 chapters I'm already at 100 pages. I am however about 1 week behind schedule (a schedule that has already been revised twice). Some tension is the result of that, I can assure you. I am so much looking forward to the weekend's general conference to relieve some of that tension. It would be so much nicer if all the research and analysis was already done, but there is SO much to do in parallel with the writing. Some days I wonder if I'm ever going to get done. And other days I'm sure I'm going to go nuts...

At the time of writing, the smell of a banana cake, Swedish version, is filling the apartment. It smells rather divine (a new recipe I had never tried before). If it tastes half as good as it smells it's going on the recipe blog.

Now dear readers, I would like to invite you to make comments on my previous entry. I am intrigued and really would want to know what people feel about the topics presented therein. Be frank. Write anonymously if that feels better.

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

Although you say you're a week behind thesis-writing schedule, it sounds like you're doing great!

And horray for beating the bed-bugs again!

Anonymous said...

I was listening to the readio and they were saying that bed bugs were back on the rise due the amount of travelling some people do for work. So hotels are becoming more cautious. One client can spread bed bugs like crazy if he stays in a lot of hotels and then people sleep in the same bed. It's kind of gross to think about.

I am curious to know how the duct tape helped.

Anyway sounds like you are on a roll with your thesis. 100 pages! I remember writing a 30 page paper that I thought was going to kill me. You are amamzing.

I have to tell you Dad was telling me that you either had a baby or there is one on the way shortly. I must say I was shocked with this news. I said "No way! I read her blog all the time and there has been no mention of it." Then Dad said "I could be wrong". Please tell me that Dad is wrong! Not that having a baby is bad, just you need to become Dr. Theresa first!

Seriously this is where rumours stem from, my Dad and his selective hearing.

I miss you lots and lots! I am hoping that Ed and I will move to N.S and then shortly after or before so will you and David.

This is a long comment I had better end it!

KRAM!!!

Lunicrax said...

Haha!!! well, the rumours are certainly greatly exaggerated ;) When it happens, you'll be the first to know, I promise (both of you actually, meaning Alyssa as well :)

As for the duct tape - well, it very efficiently makes sure bedbugs can neither escape, nor sneak into any cracks in the wood. I really need to post the picture (by spacey I meant sci-fi-y). Those bugs are nasty little critters... pretty much 2-D, so they're big from above, but so flat they can sneak in anywhere.

Ah, I want to come and visit... I'd like to see your parents too, they're awesome. I'm looking forward to when we're neighbours in the east!!! :D

Yvonne said...

Glad you managed to get rid of the bed-bugs. I got a little itchy just reading ; )

I admire you with your thesis. Sounds like such an undertaking.

A recipe blog--how fun.

Jess said...

Keep going baby. It sounds like you are progressing and doing awesome.
Good luck with the bugs. I hope they never come back.