Sunday, August 29, 2010

First month at the place where the alders grow

I love it here! We live in a part of Toronto called Etobicoke, very close to lake Ontario (300 m). With a beach. With loads of geese (I love geese!) and other birds. The apartment is on the east side of our building, but nevertheless it gets fairly hot on days of 30 degrees and above… It is also very humid here. In other words: I'm loving it!!!!

We have visited one of the 3 (!) ikeas more often than is probably sane (it's 10 minutes away, and they have cheap food…). It takes either 50 minutes or 20 minutes to get downtown depending on choice of transportation (bus+subway or train). My supervisor visited last weekend, and during the day we worked together at the University of Toronto, she showed me around. Before then, I had only seen the Astronomy building (which is wonderful!!! openable windows, an AC you can turn on and off yourself, and are asked not to use unless absolutely necessary, a HUGE lounge, plants en masse, large windows, and view south, with the CN tower in direct view) - and now I got to see a little bit more of campus. What a wonderful campus!!! I need to bring my camera and post some photos! There are lots of old buildings in gothic style. Just a few block south of where I'm located, there is a street (Baldwin) with a plethora of super cute restaurants. We went to one, and the food was just wonderful!

There is obviously an immense amount of things to do here, which I'm saving for when my brother comes over for a visit in September. Because - the thesis has priority #1 for now. But that doesn't stop me from simultaneously enjoying the weather, the location, the apartment, evening walks to the beach, being together again, the rides to uni on the subway, watching people, being in a big city, still having lots of nature nearby, seeing stars and planets over the lake, existing…
The lake in the morning
This little girl had flown all the way from Brampton in 3 days (about 20 km away), and stayed one night with us before I got in touch with her owners who came to pick her up. Just as well, thought my own budgies, who found her a bit bossy... 
The Toronto temple - only 30 minutes away (!!!). I had some fun experimenting with HDR

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Try to find the rare book library at UofT - very cool!!

Anonymous said...

Theresa you sound so happy in this post! I am glad to hear that you are loving Toronto. Ed and I need to come out for a visit. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

P.S I loved the part about the budgie!