Tuesday, November 14, 2006

intermediate november update

No, I didn't stay down for long, just a little while. One can be pretty hard on oneself. Things are just too good to be annoyed, that would be a waste of precious time. And after weeks of cloudiness, I've seen the sun two days in a row! With strong winds from south, it's actually rather pleasant just now (i.e. just above zero). I might even take out my bike later!

Most common state: Rotting away in the office. Feeling hunger. Was jsut about to wander my way through the not-so-uplifting catacombs towards some place with food (or edible substance at least), when some faculty came with a brick of fruit and juices to starving grad students. Sweet.

Good things now: Making a new Aeggost again tonight, 5 weeks till D-day (dec 19), so need find birdwatcher before then, christmas concert practicing (funfun!), dancing (took a break in October, but missed it a LOT), work going forwards, and TA-ed a class this morning for a lab about galaxies. A very nice reminder on why I am doing what I do. Galaxies are just SO COOL. I don't know how to emphasize that enough, and people don't seem to realise it, but seriously! Is there anything cooler? Us being here observing them is rather awesome too... But just LOOK at one... (NGC 2903, one of the cuties I am working on, here in optical, with a Hubble image overlaid). It instills the same feeling as flying.


Annoying thing for the moment: Where did I put my calculator?

4 comments:

Lunicrax said...

yes, I know it's called "tray" and not brick. Not going to spend tie changing it though, it's just too fun for a while...

Also, the gal is not my own data. Mine are in HI which only looks cool to the already converted geeks.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to know you're not down anymore...but then you never are for long! You're one of my heroes when it comes to being happy...just wanted you to know!

And I LOVED the picture you posted...I wonder what ours looks like from their view?!

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hehe 'bricks' of fish (frozen) could be imagined, but bricks of fruit? :-)

I'm spending much of my evenings arguing how to save our Earth (moi being chairman of the small idealistic society called 'Environmentalists for Nuclear Power'). However even the Earth is really nothing - invisable in the blackness. One could be depressed for less...
The galaxy is beautiful, what a perspective! Why on Earth (sorry - in heaven) is all this? for?

Lunicrax said...

that's for you to find out... ;)