Monday, February 05, 2007

-40, and kazaap!

This morning we hit the temperature where it doesn't matter if you use F or C. I haven't had this cold since I arrived here 3 years ago, and apparently I've adjusted, because it didn't bother me so much. Of course 3 layers on legs, and 5 underneath the jacket as well as 2 layers mittens and toques, helps a bit. Only toes and nose were a bit chilly. It's so cold that the last amount of humidity has frozen onto trees, and looks pretty much like sweden a chilly -4 -day in sunshine. haha.
The driness makes for some fun. Cats these days can't have an easy time. One of the astronomers at the faculty here told about how his cat Chaos approached their entertainment unit, and a big SPARK went from nose to unit, totally frying the hard drive. In general, winnipeg cats tend to pull away if someone threatens to pet them this time of the year. And when walking on top of a blanket in darkness, there's little sparks accompanying the cat with each step (this statement set me off in an unending attack of laughter at a dinner a few days ago). Wearing fleece and wool in combination is perfect, turn off the lights, touch someone's nose and there's your own indoors lightning. Haha! Sadly this also means really bad hair days... but it's funny, you get electric shocks even from plants! Slide out of a car seat and you're pretty close to electricuting yourself.
If it can only get a little bit warmer, I intend to go out skating on the river. There's a skating path and a walking/biking path along Assiniboine, going by outside my house and all the way to the Forks (via river skating rink and curling) onto Red river. D and I went for a walk there a few sundays ago, and it was supercool. As for inquiries to last post: Yes, of course Sweden too, as soon as I can get tickets for a good deal. Ideally in the end of summer, or latest at Christmas again.

4 comments:

Jonathan said...

Theresa, one more thing that's fun to do when it's this cold is to throw a glass of boiling hot water really high in the air outside. It all evaporates or turns to ice and looks really really cool.

Sofilla said...

Can someone please explain for us non-scientists:

Why do sparks appear when the humidity is low?

I don't understand...

Meg said...

We have thought that the last few days here have been quite cold at -19, but you have us beat for sure. I think that you will enjoy the warmer weather that the Calgary air is providing. I will try to keep it for you when you come to visit next week! I am so excited so see you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is cold! I sure don't miss that, but it's crazy cold here...and add humidity it just gets nuts. Claude is especially annoyed with the electricity he tends to generate: he moves in for a rub VERY slowly ;)