Thursday, May 22, 2008

Victoria on Victoria day

I forgot the cable to my camera, so all awesome photos - later. I'm in Victoria, British Columbia, for the 2008 version of the CASCA conference (I arrived on Victoria day, hence the title). It is great. The location is great, the inspiration, the people. The nature here reminds me a lot of Sweden. The inner harbour is like a mini version of Göteborg (but prettier), and has a wonderful walk. No ugly malls, but stores along the streets, like home. Humidity - works wonders for the hair, as always. But best of all: the Pacific. Real ocean, with salt and waves and immenseness. The gardens are very Dutch (i.e. beautiful) - I was thoroughly impressed as we drove from Oak Bay along the coast back to Victoria.
So far: have had some amazing fish & chips (almost as good as the greek place in Halifax), learnt loads about all canadian telescopes and dreams of telescopes, and attended the high redshift session (it is still my favourite area of research). Since next year is going to be the IYA - the international year of astronomy - lots of the conference is aimed towards getting us inspired to contribute to that. It is indeed very inspiring... Lots of the magic in astronomy comes back to me. I hope I will be able to keep it.

5 comments:

Yvonne said...

I wish you could meet my granddaughter, Amanda. She just graduated from Boston University with a degree in Physics and Astronomy. You two would get along so well.

Have a great time in Victoria--can't wait for pictures.

Jess said...

I love that you posted something again so much fun. You are so lucky to be in beautiful BC at this time of year. Enjoy and we need to plan a sushi date.

Anonymous said...

Ah - I wish I could be there with you! Fill me in on all the conference gossip when you can ;)

MrYu said...

Wow it sounds like you enjoyed your trip. Victoria is indeed beautiful. My how I miss the ocean. Ed is currently taking an intro to astronomy course. Therefore I am thinking about you lots. i bet this course would be a breeze for you! Next he is going to take an intro to human health so I can help him with that! Hope all is well! KRAM!!!

Meg said...

Wow it sounds like you enjoyed your trip. Victoria is indeed beautiful. My how I miss the ocean. Ed is currently taking an intro to astronomy course. Therefore I am thinking about you lots. i bet this course would be a breeze for you! Next he is going to take an intro to human health so I can help him with that! Hope all is well! KRAM!!!