Thursday, May 07, 2009

Live long and prosper

Premiere night. And the new star trek movie is a w e s o m e!!! Although the silly black holes made me giggle somewhat... And what is it with J.J. Abrams' (the director) fascination with hovering liquid red orbs? Just a cheap way to explain the ease with which to... no. That's all the spoilers you'll get out of me. Excellent cast/special effects, and of course it doesn't hurt that Simon Pegg plays Scotty, even though all that is resembling between the two would be the accent. There was even a moment in the first few scenes, where space did not have sound. But alas, that was all that could be given. I don't mind though, this movie experience was one of the better ones I'll see this year, I'm sure. 

Less impressive was the audience. Only one person was dressed up (not me, although I did bring spock ears), there was no lineup, the theatre was far from full, and where a swedish audience on the premiere day (which undoubtedly would have consisted of real trekkies) would have cheered and applauded (mainly Spock related events), nothing of the kind occurred here. Bizarre. 

Another bizarre thing was that as we were leaving the theatre, 2 guys muttered "trekkies" as we walked by in the parking lot. I didn't even wear my ears! I'm quite happy to be a trekkie, so I'm not bothered, just wondering how they would have known (for the record, we were wearing winter coats, since the temperature plummeted from 22 yesterday to 1 today. Ugh.)

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

Glad the movie was good even if the movie-going experience wasn't so much :S I have yet to decide if I'll see it, but I'm not a huge Star Trek fan. The movie does look good though - was it done quite different from the others?

Lunicrax said...

It is good... it is culture... even David saw it, and I think he enjoyed it :) granted, I bought him the ticket, and gave him little choice, but still. I'd see it just for the visual effects, actually, it's very well done. I'm sure you'll snort at the black hole scenes as well, but I'd still recommend it. :)

Anonymous said...

I think that is was the look in your eye as you left the theatre that gave away your "trek-ness". Yes no doubt... or they could have been the guys sitting behind you as you were cheering in the theatre.

Anyway I glad that you enjoyed it. Myself being a "Strawberry Shortcakie", am much disappointed in new generation. What happened to the peculiar purple pie man of porcupine peak?

Jess said...

Love that you had so much fun at the movie.You are the cutest trekkie I know!

Yvonne said...

O.K. I have to say I LOVED Bones--I thought he was FANTASTIC.

I also wish I could remember the episode with Captain Pike.