Sunday, May 21, 2006

Go Finland, Sweden, moths, masers and worms!

I didn't miss the ESC! I placed myself comfortably in the comfy chair, laptop on lap, and listened to the swedish radio broadcast (apparently there was a webcast as well, which I should have understood, but the radio was fun too). Despite my dad's objections I do think the right song won.. :) It was a historical ESC. Although Bosnia was really nice too. And why didn't Norway get more points? (Sweden-Canada hockey semi finals at same time btw! Sometimes I do miss a tv... (5-4))

The evening was finished nicely by watching the massively qualitative japanese Godzilla (2004-version (?)). My goodness. I think I need to see it again. It has inummerable memorable scenes. The giant moth is my hero. You have a huge dinosaur lookalike, breathing blue maser fire (or something like that, masers are mentioned frequently in this film), fighting three-headed and other monsters, and you send a giant colourful moth two the aid. And Minilla (mini-zilla) saves the day in the end. Sweet. I am not even going mention all the other wonder moments, it's a must-see.

I haven't written for ages, but it seems like there's not much to report. 1.5 weeks left before conference, and the poster is taking shape. Layout-wise. What's going IN there is still being worked on. I'm not sure my heart can take that kind of pressure for too long time. Relief of said pressure consists of dancing (or rather, changes the location and applies it to sore toe instead). I have turned into a dance addict.
My brother has fixed up an internet phone at home, so now they can call me for free!
The winnipegian weather has been very springy, not too cold at all (not too warm either, which is a pity), and now is the time of the attack of the tree-worms. Walk under a tree, and you will be provided with at least three rather cute mini worms, luckily easy to spot in their amazing green-ness, that hang down from the trees in long, long threads. I think they turn into moths later on, but I'm not sure. I've never seen this spring phenomenon anywhere else than in Winnipeg.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm Finland has turned upside-down on the concept of song. It was a song contest, not a demonic... whatever. I wonder if the author of Godzilla knows of what a maser is. From my remembrance from my studies at Chalmers University of Tech a Maser is a sort of amplifier, that is : Microwave Amplification by Stimulation Emission of Radiation. Sounds coolt doesn't it? (I believe that liquid CO2 is used for cooling down any existence of noise).
The worms seem nice, especially whan captured by the collar, crawling down the neck...