Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Albuquerque!

2nd day in Albuqurque, after a full day of lectures on radioastronomy, correlators, polarization, etc... Going for dinner soon, which is a very good thing, since I am very hungry.

I had only 2 days inbetween coming home from Calgary-conferences, before leaving ultra early again on the monday (thanks for the ride, Angelo!!!). Had time for practicing landings, reviving plants and doing laundry, and that was about it. I was actually not even in the mood to leave. But after a long nap in minneapolis, and while heading south, I looked out of the airplane window and studied the desert-y landscape, and realized how amazing my life is. New place, new sites, new people... and no camera to document it with! (due to a certain lack of smartness last week, when wanting to change the format of my photos, but that's another story).

I just love it when you walk out of the airplane, and get a quick sense of the outside temperature and smell just when entering the tube-walkway (does it have a name?). 35 degrees of desert heat - now we're talking! I wasn't picked up at the airport as was previously announced, so instead I grabbed the luggage and took a bus to the campus of university of new mexico. It brought with it the excitement of travelling.

Some impressions:
- Sizes (people, pop, amounts of sugar in everything you might want to eat etc. I always forget, and it's always somewhat baffling...)
- Auto-mode on everything (ARGH! Why, oh why?? esp airport "restrooms". Stupid sensor stupid notices every movement, and FLUSHES when you least expect.. (well, you get the picture). One of my most major pet peeves. Then you try to magically wiggle some soap out of "automatic" soap dispenser, and almost taking off, waving your arms in front of the stupid tap. I don't get it. There are no automatic toilet doors anyhow, so why the stupid flush?).
- ID's. Apparently you can't be served at a bar unless you have american ID. French didn't work, nor swedish driving licences (there's another swede here too, a friend from Onsala!), OR, believe it or not, swedish passport. !?! Not that I care, in my case, of course, but that was the alltimehigh of stupidity... You can enter the US with the passport, but not use it as ID. (well, to be honest, some places do accept it. But only the passports, nothing else.)
- Customs!
On the other hand, believe it or not, the US customs were totally nice and civilised towards me this time! First time, I think. Perhaps because I was being rather grumpy, rolling my eyes when they scolded me for not having taken off my belt while going through the metal detector? Anyways, it was really refreshing for a change.
- Temperature! YEEHAA! It's 35 degrees! Or was, right when I wrote that and finished it halfsentence, and now, at 22:35, it's 32. I haven't had this kind of heat since Italy 2003, and I LOVE it.
- Bugs
. Apparently I was quite lucky with the room - it's the "coldest" one, it's one of the few with functioning internet connection, and it's not supplied with big 2/3 cockroach sized bugs who crawl along the wall in bugwarpspeed, as in one of the other rooms with sauna temp.
- camera
: I bought a new camera today (hooray for low dollar value and tax). Photos from my precious will be online soon. On friday and saturday we go to Soccorro, and VLA, so I assume there will be some nice ones.

And, talks. Some people are magical, and can make you listen for 80 minutes continuously to a talk about polarization, while having fun and learning, while for others, all your energy is taken up by following the talk, and none is left for actually understanding, even thought the topic is simpler.

But, most of all, again, the warmth. Common sight during break outside the lecture building (or: how to pinpoint the scandinavians in the crowd): everyone is sitting/standing in the shade of the huge pine trees (the campus area is amazing!), except for the two swedes, standing facing the sun, leaning backwards a bit to increase the solar exposed area as much as possible, with goofy smiles on their faces, trying to save as much as possible for darker times to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi The,
Funny and sharpeyed registrations from life down there. Pardon me for providing with a bad camera (Sony not good?). About restrooms I also have a funny memory. At London airport I once took the only unoccupied one with a wheelchair sign. It appeared to be a HUGE one with a stretcher in a corner and some medical equipment. After sitting there for a short while I suddenly realised that the voice in the contonuously sounding loudspeaker for the third time informed that "this facility had restricted use, thank you for your cooperation...". Oops I was obviously on a TV screen somewhere! so I finished my needs very quickly...

Yuo have to tell more about Soccorro and VLA.

Anonymous said...

Skaffa amerikanskt körkort som ID, det är hur lätt som helst! :D

Kraxia Kataraxia said...

Theresa, ich habe nicht unsere Gustavs emailadress, aber villeicht (kannn ja nicht peut-etre staven auf deutsch,,, hätte alles vergessen,. was ist das, morgen fruh fahre ich nach Riga. Und, Gustav, bleibt ruhe,, I have a dead line - I can win 500.000 SEK if I write 300 pages with miserable text, and the deadline is 6 october 2006!!!! Big novel contest. last time I wrote 764 pages in four wonderful sunny weeks on my amstrad (black background with green letters,,, poor my miserable eyes) down in my cellar, to WIN much less money, and what happened: the jury was one man who wanted me to win and two women who hated my text. And they kept my manuscript for nine months and NOBODY won the price! Just silence and not a word about that Nowadays-novel any more.
This time it is another what do you call it Verlag of course, and they only want max 300 pages and the rule is: it shound happen during the 2000 :s and you have to break at least one of the ten commandments (hm, I can always steal a chocolate bar.....) and it should not be a crime story so they probably do not want a murder in the text... I will try and write something miserably and I can get rich!!!!
Piggybank rules the world!!! I can travel with the whole family! I just have to remember that I should write something completely uninteresting, that makes nobody angry (my text sure did people angry last time....)