Saturday, January 10, 2009

I did it!

Tonight, David and I attended the kick-off IYA (international year of astronomy), which was held a the Forks. And we skated there! I decided when I moved to my apartment that I would skate to the Forks at some point, and now it has finally taken place! This wouldn't be such an amazing thing if not taking into account that I'm a very shaky skater :) But after having fallen once, I became more daring. The nervousness also had the unexpected bonus that it kept me very warm. The quality of the ice deteriorated closer to the Forks though, due to more skaters, so next time I think we'll go the other direction, towards Assiniboine park. 

On another note: We watched Australia at the cheap seats last night (something I just had to do before heading there in a week). This is a movie I realised people would either hate or love. I loved it. Finally a movie that is a real movie! An epic, long (2.5 hrs), beautiful piece, that reminds me a lot of really old movies. Best was the intro - never has a murder been presented in such an artistic manner (this sounds wrong - it was not glorified in any way, but it definitely caught interest). Worst was getting used to the totally unnecessary enhancement of the upper lip of the female main actress. Easiest was to enjoy the male main actor (Hugh Jackman, need I say more... ;) Try to get a chance to watch this movie, without any expectations either direction, and just enjoy it, without being critical (as if those critics could to a better job than Baz Luhrmann anyways!!)

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

I think I would have enjoyed that movie--I'll have to wait for it to come out to rent.

Great job on the skating--I can't ice skate AT ALL--and will not even attempt. (I really don't want any broken arms ; )

Have a great time in Australia. When do you leave--please posts while you are there. (It is one of my favorite places ; )