Sunday, January 25, 2009

A walk in botanical garden

After 4 days, I finally got to see my first parrots, on a grey cloudy, and very comfortable (temperature wise) Sunday evening, as I was walking through the Domain and the Botanical Garden. 

The first one was a rainbow lorikeet, who patiently waited for me while I searched for my camera, but, I still wasn't quick enough. He had a very sweet and mild chirp. Just after that, a disney-bird caught my eye - a kookaburra! (kookaburras are not parrots, but they are still birds worth all respect due to their looks, style and personality, not to mention the laughter...) He was not laughing, just watching me and blinking while I chatted with him... The locals enjoyed watching me and all had nice comments as they were passing by. A bit further away, walking towards Mrs McQuaries chair, I heard a loud WAAAAK, tightly followed by more very insistant WAAKs. My suspicions were correct: High up in a gumtree a sulphurcrested cockatoo was purched on a branch! And then another one came, and another one, until the tree top was filled with awesome birds, and WAAAAKs, and I was in heaven. Obviously the camera wasn't resting either. 

 
WAAK!

My Kookaburra-friend

A sulphurcrested cockatoo posing nicely for me (sorry about the darkness, haven't had a chance to work on the photos yet..)

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

How fun that you posted a video. Thanks.

I hope you continue to have a great trip.