Friday, January 23, 2009

Kookaburras, cockatoos & astronomy

Well, I haven't seen either of the first two yet... But I am sure I am about to. So far, I have experienced warmth in wonderful amounts (i.e. all the time), ocean, friendly people, the most beautiful city, awesome accent, inspirational locations for work (ATNF contains a  large amount of astronomers, which all of a sudden makes your work seem more interesting and of use), and fun times with my superfun supervisor. 

Some pictures from the first few days: 
A sign of heat. Notice how the birds line up in the shadow of the palm tree... 

Flying foxes (flygande hundar) - these bats have a wingspan of 1 m

Taking the ferry out to Watson bay

And, yesterday, Jayanne and I took the ferry back to the city instead of the train. The light was excellent. Sydney harbour bridge was impressive. 

Approaching circular quay

Companions (so far):
Moi-meme, by a beach in Watson bay


Luuk (cousin-in-law) was my guide the first day when I rebooted my brain in the sunshine

Jayanne, demonstrating the funky chairs on the sydney trains :)

6 comments:

Kraxia Kataraxia said...

Underbara, välkända vyer. Pappa fick aldrig se ngn burra, men han hörde dårskrattet ljuda över Taronga zoo. Men att platypusarna hade siesta och gömt sig till osynlighet var inte snällt gjort....

Alyssa said...

LOL Love the video! Thanks for sharing the pictures - it makes me feel even worse about how cold it is back in Canada ;)

Have fun!

Jessica Martiele said...

Those chairs are AWESOME!!!!!!! (Just happened upon your blog and had to say...wow!)

Yvonne said...

Have a fabulous time. I LOVE AUSTRALIA.

Romy said...

Thanks for posting and for including the pics! I'm trying to console myself with the fact that you said it's humid as well as hot there...humidity doesn't translate well in a photograph...so I'm still envious that I can't be there too! Hahahaha! Oh well...I'll just wait for the postcard! Take care! Miss you!

Unknown said...

Lovely pictures! Have a great time!